Puerto Rico San Juan

On September 14, 2013 I received my call to serve as a Mission Nurse Specialist in the Puerto Rico San Juan Mission for a period of 18 months. I am always up for a new adventure and look forward to sharing my journey with you.

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Lots of adventure this week!

On Saturday, Sis. Allred and I boarded the train by the office and headed off to Rio Piedras, a stop on the way to San Juan.  We walked through the shopping area and ended up at a 'mall'.  It mostly had fruit/vegetable stands and food court in an air-conditioned building.  It was fun, but a lot of walking.  The food was all very interesting - the best was a pina colada frozen drink.  After we returned home, Kathie came over to watch Women's conference on my TV.  I got a ROKU so we can access BYU channel.  As the conference was ending, I received a call from the Mission Pres - an Elder with Type I diabetes had passed out and the ambulance was enroute in Ponce.  Kathie volunteered to go along which was welcomed since Ponce is nearly 2 hrs away and it would be a very dark ride through the mountains.  Fortunately, the Elder recovered, but wasn't seen by the ER Dr till 2am and had to wait for lab results.  I dropped the missionaries off at their apartment and got home about 9am.  Had time for 2 hrs sleep and then off to Church since I had to play the piano for Sacrament meeting and Relief Society (special musical number).  Survived all that and went to bed early!  On Tuesday, I drove to Rincon, a vacation spot on the NW coast.  The Sisters live very close to the beach.  As it was approaching dark, we drove down the street to look at the beach.  One of the sisters said it was safe to drive on the sand a little - NOT!  As the photos below show, we quickly got stuck :o)  Some members were called and pulled us out with a strap and pick-up - Learned a lesson with
Waiting for the Tren

Rio Piedras Food Court - the pork/rice/beans were all dry :o(

Little lady in pink shirt was cleaning tables hoping for $$

A fun night on the playa in Rincon

And we were out! (tracks were about 9-10 inches deep)

that one, but did enjoy getting my feet in the water!  Wednesday was a trip to Caguas for a missionary Dr. appt that took forever and included xrays at the hospital.  Friday was a marathon day - left at 0700 for a missionary appt in Ponce - 0945 appt - out at 2pm; then off to visit a sister in Ponce and 4 missionaries in Cabo Rojo.  Got caught in torrential downpours on the back roads enroute to Cabo - the GPS even dropped out at one point.  Even though it showed my car was off the road, I knew I was on a good 4 lane highway.  Came home via Mayaguez arriving at 9pm.  Quite a day, but very productive and great kids to visit.  Nice quiet day today - watched conference at home.  Kathie came over - I made potato salad, deviled eggs and sloppy joes with brownies for dessert.  Only problem is that my landlord damaged his car somehow, so he couldn't come fix the washer yet.  Another week in the life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment